Make Music Day MMD is a worldwide celebration of music held every year on June 21 — the summer solstice and longest day of the year. The daylong musical free-for-all celebrates music in all its forms. Rather than a traditional music festival of professional bands, Make Music Day promotes the natural music maker in all of us—regardless of age, ethnicity, or skill level (especially skill level!).
Started in France in 1982 as the “Fête de la Musique” (festival of music), MMD is now held on the same day in more than 1,000 cities in 120 countries. Over 90 U.S. cities take part in the daylong celebration that includes over 5,000 concerts, performances, music lessons, jam sessions, and other musical events nationwide. All Make Music Day events are free and open to the public.
MMD provides opportunities for anyone to make, perform, teach, learn, and enjoy music on the longest day of the year. It’s Free and All Ages! MMD encourages everyone—amateur or professional—to participate in and enjoy music. Make Music Day is presented in the U.S. by the NAMM Foundation, which promotes the value of music education. #MusicforEveryone #MusicMatters
In 2021, a new international program highlights an exquisite musical instrument that is hidden in plain sight: the leaf. Using a leaf to create a simple reed instrument has a long history in many countries, including China, Cambodia, Australia, Brazil, Japan, and Nepal. Leaf Music programs on June 21 will include a virtual collaboration where leaf musicians will produce new musical tracks and instructional videos to help anyone turn their local greenery into a symphony of sound. More info: Leaf Music | Make Music Day
2023 Make Music Day Hawai’i (Wednesday, June 21)
Make Music Hawaii is an official chapter of Make Music Day launched in 2020 to bring the music of Hawai’i to the world. Every kind of musician – young and old, amateur and professional, singer and instrumentalist, toe tapper and shower singer – appear on Hawaii’s streets, parks, plazas, and porches to share their music with ‘ohana, neighbors and visitors, friends and strangers. All Make Music Hawaii events are free and open to the public.
All kine. All kine music. All kine people. All kine places. All on June 21.
2023 O’ahu Make Music Day events
- Tamarind Park – 1003 Bishop Street, Honolulu, HI 96813 [12:00-1:00pm]
- Tropical Sweet Music [12:00pm-11:00pm]
- Kanile’a ‘Ukulele Ala Moana Retail Store – 1450 Ala Moana Blvd, Honolulu, HI 96814 [3:00-3:45pm]
- Keawe Retail at Our Kakaʻako – 400 Keawe St, Honolulu, HI 96813 [4:00-5:00pm]
- Kūʻono Marketplace – 4210 Waialae Ave, Honolulu, HI 96816 [4:00-6:00pm]
- Mai Tai’s – 1450 Ala Moana Blvd, Unit 3247 Honolulu, HI 96814 [4:00-7:00pm]
- Helumoa, Royal Hawaiian Center – 2233 Kalākaua Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96815, Building B, Level 1, next to the Royal Grove [4:00-8:00pm]
- Movement Center [5:45-6:30pm]
- SALT at Our Kaka’ako – 691 Auahi St, Honolulu, HI 96813 [5:00-6:00pm]
- Shops at Keauhou Lane at Our Kaka’ako – 502 Keawe St, Honolulu, HI 96813 [6:00-7:00pm]
- Guitar Center Pearl City – 1000 Kamehameha Hwy, Unit 200, Honolulu, HI 96782 [7:00-8:30pm]
2023 Kaua’i Make Music Day events
- The Shops at Kukuiʻula – 2829 Ala Kalanikaumaka Rd, Kōloa, HI 96756 [3:30-6:00pm]
- Haulani’s at Timbers Līhuʻe – 3770 Ala Oli Way, Līhuʻe, HI 96766 [4:00-8:30pm]
2023 Maui Make Music Day events
- Queen Kaʻahumanu Center – 275 W Kaʻahumanu Ave, Kahului, HI 96732 [5:00-7:00pm]
2023 Hawai’i Island Make Music Day events
- The View Restaurant Bar & Grill, Kona Country Club – 78-7000 Ali‘i Dr, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 [TBD]
2023 Moloka’i Make Music Day events
- Kūpuna Group Session – Molokaʻi Community Health Center
- Lānaʻi Senior Center – 309 Seventh St, HI 96763 [9:00am-10:00am]
More info: Make Music Hawaii Day — Make Music Hawaii