The Hawaiian Airlines Holoholo Challenge launched in 2020 as an opportunity for friends to holoholo (go out) and stay connected. Inspired by the Hawaiian Islands, the virtual fitness challenge features courses that span the distance between some of our state’s most treasured places. In the second year, the 2021 Holoholo Challenge celebrated the landscapes of Maui with three new ways to participate. It’s a great way to motivate you to start, restart, maintain, or increase your fitness level.
How it works: Hawaiian Airlines (HA) Holoholo Challenge
- Register in September on Hawaiian Airlines Holoholo Challenge website.
- During October, walk, run, cycle, or swim the distance of your virtual course, inspired by special locations for the current year.
- Track your mileage and record distance in the holoholo challenge website as you go.
Tips: Hawaiian Airlines Holoholo Challenge
- Keep in mind that the virtual courses aren’t actual routes to take in person, rather to use as inspiration — along the way, you will get to know which iconic landmarks you would be passing on your virtual itinerary.
- Use any fitness app or system to track your mileage and record your distance in the holoholo challenge website.
- Set a daily goal to stay on track. Divide the total miles of your course by four to find the number of miles you need to complete each week. Then divide by the number of days you plan to exercise to get a daily goal. For example, for the 50-mile course, you’ll need to log 12.5 miles per week at 2.5 miles over 5 days.
- Equip yourself with good walking shoes, or other appropriate clothing and gear if you are going to run, cycle, or swim. The right gear helps prevent injuries.
- Stay safe by knowing your environment and letting someone knwo where you are going and when you expect to return. Charge your phone, carry water, and have a light source if you are out near dusk.
2022 Hololo Challenge
This year, the 2022 Holoholo Challenge celebrates the awe-inspiring landscapes of Hawaiʻi Island. The challenge is extended to international friends (the website is only available in English, but the FAQ is available in Japanese and Korean). All participants receive special race SWAG that includes a Hawaii Island Holoholo Challenge t-shirt, tank or hoodie, a 2022 commemorative medal, and a limited-edition postcard by POW! WOW! artist Aaron Kai.
- Register for a course: September 1-30, 2022: Hawaiian Airlines Holoholo Challenge (runsignup.com)
- Complete the challenge and record your mileage: October 1-31, 2022
- More info: Hawaiian Airlines Holoholo Challenge
Leave a Reply