Honoka‘a Western Week celebrates the community’s paniolo heritage with a roundup of friendly competition, ‘ono food, music, dancing, storytelling, keiki games, and Hāmākua’s special breed of cowboy culture. Most events are FREE (except the rodeo, which has nominal admission of $5). More info: Honokaʻa Western Week – Official home of Hāmākua’s paniolo heritage (honokaawesternweek.org)
Highlights of 2023 Honokaʻa Western Week
- May 19-29. Virtual Silent Auction to support scholarships for local youth.
- Friday, May 19, 5-9PM. Cowboy Movies at historic Honokaʻa Peoples’ Theatre followed by line dancing.
- Saturday, May 20, 4-10PM. Western Week Parade and Block Party on Mamane Street.
- Sunday, May 21, 9AM-2PM. Hāmākua Harvest Farm Festival celebrates Canoe Crops: ʻulu, ʻuala, kalo, mai‘a, and niu. Entertainment, education, food.
- Monday, May 22, 5:30PM. Cowboy Talk Story at Honoka‘a Heritage Center. Meet the paniolo, horsewhisperers, and a veterinarian.
- Tuesday, May 23, 5-7PM. Portuguese Bean Soup & Smoke Meat Contest at Ahualoa Family Farms Mac Nut Factory.
- Wednesday, May 24, 3:30-5:30PM. Hawaii Saddle Club Keiki Roundup games at the Rose Andrade Correia Arena.
- Thursday, May 25, 4-6PM. Cowboy, sugar, and ranching storyies and giveaways At Honokaʻa Public Library:
- Friday, May 26, 5PM. Hootenanny at Honoka‘a Country Market. Food, drinks and fun for all ages.
- Saturday, May 27. Rodeo “slack” events at the Rose Andrade-Correia Stadium. Saturday is “slack”, the qualifying events, and the finals begin at noon on Sunday and Monday.
- Sunday-Monday, May 28-2, Noon-pau. Tickets $5. Annual Hawai‘i Saddle Club Scholarship Rodeo, at the Rose Andrade-Correia Stadium.
Post expires at 12:28am on Tuesday May 30th, 2023
Leave a Reply