From its founding in the Territory of Hawaii in 1903 to today, the family-owned kama’āina E. K. Fernandez Shows has brought entertainment experiences to Hawaiʻi for over a century. Families, sports teams, churches, schools, and other businesses and organizations can enjoy carnival rides, play games and win prizes, and enjoy tasty fair treats or a delicious plate on the midway.
The Fernandez company is recognized nationally and internationally for its long history in the carnival, fair, and circus industry. Founder, Edwin Kane (E. K.) Fernandez, was known as “The Barnum of the Pacific.” He searched the world for the best acts he could find and brought them to Hawaiʻi, as well as to shows in Hong Kong, Manila, Singapore, Japan, Guam, India, and China.
Some of the more well-known acts included the Flying Wallendas and their seven-person aerial pyramid, the wild animal trainer Clyde Beatty, and the famous clown Emmett Kelly. The first elephant at the Honolulu Zoo, Daisy originally came to Hawaiʻi to perform in an E. K. Fernandez show.
The company’s first amusement ride was a steam-powered merry-go-round called a Flying Jenny at the Maui County Fair in 1915. Amusement rides have changed tremendously since then. Today’s fairs include an assortment of kiddie rides, family rides, thrill rides, and spectaculars to please everyone in the family.
50th State Fair 2023
2023 Fair dates:
- May 26-27-28-29
- June 2-3-4
- June 8-9-10-11
- June 16-17-18
- June 22-23-24-25
- June 30-July 1-2-3
- July 7-8-9
- Sunday, May 28 – Noon to 5 p.m. HALF-OFF SUNDAY. ADMISSION 30 CREDITS ($3) – ALL RIDES 50% OFF
- Monday, May 29 – MILITARY APPRECIATION DAY. FREE admission for active-duty and retired military personnel and their dependents with a valid military ID!!!
- Monday, May 29 – Noon to 5 p.m. HALF-OFF MONDAY. ADMISSION 30 CREDITS ($3) – ALL RIDES 50% OFF
- Thursday: 6 p.m.
- Friday: 6 p.m.
- Saturday: 4 p.m.
- Sunday: 12 noon
- Monday: 12 noon
Where: Aloha Stadium, 99-500 Salt Lake Blvd in Honolulu, HI in the Lower Halawa Lot
Parking: Main Salt Lake Gate 1. $9.00 per car / $32.00 per bus or limousine. All parking gates are CASH ONLY. No Tailgating allowed.
- Monday’s – 11:00 am
- Thursdays & Fridays – 5:00pm, Friday, June 3 parking will open at 4:00pm
- Saturdays & Sundays – 3:00pm, Saturday’s & Sunday’s before 3:00pm parking fee: $2 per person ($1 for Kama’aina and Active Military with valid ID), 11 years and under free
Cost: A Fun Pass card is required to pay for admission, rides, games, food & beverages, and other attractions. For details, see Fun Pass Information below.
More info: Aloha Stadium | 50TH STATE FAIR (hawaii.gov)
Fun Pass Information
A Fun Pass card is required to pay for admission to the fairgrounds, rides, games, food & beverages, novelties, and some attractions. You may purchase Fun Passes at the large red kiosks at the entrance to the Fair and throughout the fairgrounds using cash or credit card. Some of these red units may be designated as “RELOAD ONLY” and will be clearly marked. The Fun Pass trailers located throughout the fairgrounds accepts CASH ONLY and are for RELOADS ONLY using a $1, $5, $10, $20, $50, or $100 bill.
- Each Fun Pass credit is equivalent to 10 cents. $3= 30credits; $5= 50credits; $10= 100credits; $20= 200credits; $50 = 500credits; $100 = 1000credits.
- If you want to attend the Fair but not purchase a Fun Pass, you may purchase an admission-only ticket for 100 credits (equivalent to $10).
- Admission is 30-60 credits ($3-$6) depending on date and time of entry.
- Rides are 40-66 credits each ($4.00-$6.60). Be sure to check the height requirements for each ride and follow the safety rules.
Tip: We recommend that you purchase a minimum number of credits. It’s easy to check remaining credits and re-load your Fun Pass at stations throughout the fair.