Here’s a rundown of major shopping areas on the island of Maui. We focus on shopping centers, outlet malls, and other stores offering basic necessities, discounted goods, locally made products, and cultural entertainment. Our list begins in Kahului and then West Maui from Lāhainā to Kihei and Wailea.
Queen Ka’ahumanu Center
Queen Ka’ahumanu Center (QKC) is Maui’s largest shopping center and Kahului “town square” since 1972, featuring family entertainment and more than 100 national and island-style stores (including Macy’s department store, Foodland grocery store, and Longs Drugs store), a variety of eateries and services, a children’s play area, Consolidated Theatre multi-screen movie house, and hundreds of community events annually.
- What: Queen Ka’ahumanu Center for shopping & family entertainment
- Where: Queen Ka’ahumanu Center, 275 West Ka’ahumanu Avenue, Kahului, HI 96732
- When: Open daily
- Website: Queen Ka’ahumanu Center (queenkaahumanucenter.com)
Select events at Queen Ka’ahumanu Center
- Every Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, 08:00 am – 04:00 pm. Farmers Market. Find fresh, local produce, vegetables, fruits, berries, melons, bake goods, plants, fresh-cut flowers, gourmet foods including honey, and rotating food booths.
- Third Friday 06:30 pm – 08:00 pm. Kama’aina Nights. Perpetuating Hawaiian culture through live music and a celebration of ‘ohana.
Maui Mall Village
Nestled in the heart of Central Maui, the open-air Maui Mall Village offers a unique mix of shopping, dining, the island’s largest movie theater, family entertainment, and community events with over 30 stores, restaurants, and service establishments. Businesses include Whole Foods Market, Longs Drugs Store, Regal Megaplex, Fun Factory and much more.
- What: Maui Mall Village
- Where: Maui Mall Village, 70 East Kaʻahumanu Ave, Kahului, HI 96732
- When: Open daily
- Website: Maui Mall Village (mauimallvillage.com)
Select events at Maui Mall Village
- 2nd and 4th Sunday, 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm. Free Polynesian Dance & Music Show. An exhilarating one-hour performance. Come early or stay after to shop or grab a bite to eat.
Fashion and accessory stores, specialty shops, and eateries. Parking is available in the multilevel garage adjacent to Whalers Village; validation with minimum purchase.
Last updated Aug 28, 2023. Open daily. Limited stores and common areas are open. Hawaiʻi Wildlife Discovery Center is open and offers art-making every day. Entry is free and supplies are provided. All ages are welcome.
- What: Whalers Village fashion, specialty, and restaurants
- Where: Whalers Village, 2435 Kaanapali Parkway, Lāhainā, HI 96761
- Website: Whalers Village in Lāhainā (whalersvillage.com)
Select events at Whalers Village
Azeka Shopping Center
One of the largest shopping centers in Kihei with a diverse collection of restaurants and services flanking South Kihei Road between Lipoa Street and Pi’ikea Avenue with plenty of free parking.
- What: Azeka Shopping Center
- Where: Azeka Shopping Center, 1279 & 1280 S Kihei Rd Kihei, HI 96753
- When: Store hours vary
- Website: Azeka Shopping Center (azekashoppingcenter.com)
The Shops at Wailea
Located south of Kihei on the southwestern shoreline of Maui, The Shops at Wailea provide shoppers with an eclectic mix of stores and eateries.
- What: The Shops at Wailea
- Where: The Shops at Wailea, 3750 Wailea Alanui Drive, Wailea, HI 96753
- When: Open daily 10am – 9pm
- Website: The Shops at Wailea (theshopsatwailea.com)
Maui shopping centers closed due to wildfires
Lāhainā Cannery Mall
The historic Lāhainā Cannery was transformed into a contemporary shopping mall and is Maui’s only fully enclosed, air-conditioned shopping center. Anchored by a Safeway grocery store and Longs Drugs, Lāhainā Cannery offers a wonderful variety of fashion stores, specialty shops, and eateries. Easily reached by car with plenty of free parking or Maui Public Transit along Highway 30. In addition to shopping and eating, Lāhainā Cannery also offers free events and entertainment in Polynesian arts and culture, including Hula Shows, Hula Lessons, ‘Ukulele Lessons, Hawaiian Crafts (lei making, coconut weaving), Art Fairs, and seasonal fun for holidays throughout the year.
Last updated Aug 28, 2023. Closed due to wildfire damage. According to a news article from Bay Area Telegraph, the physical structure of the Cannery Mall in Lahaina Maui survived the wildfires. The Safeway store that anchors the complex posted on its Facebook page saying that the structure had survived but the store remains closed and will reopen the store as soon as it’s safe to do so.
- What: Lāhainā Cannery indoor shopping mall
- Where: Lāhainā Cannery Shopping Mall, 1221 Honoapi’ilani Hwy (aka H-30), Lāhainā, HI 96761. Located on the west side of Maui just off Highway 30, the mall is conveniently located near Kapalua, Kaanapali, and Lāhainā.
- Website: Lāhainā Cannery (lahainacannerymall.com)
Outlets of Maui
Outlets of Maui is the world’s only oceanfront outlet shopping destination, prominently located on Lāhainā’s Front Street. The shopping center features leading designer and brand names where shoppers save up to 65% off regular retail prices every day, along with unique Hawaiian brands including Hawaiian Island Creations (HIC), Hilo Hattie, and Maui Jim. Don’t miss Maui Friends of the Library store, featuring new and used books including Hawaiian History books, Hawaiian Coffee Table books, Postcards, and more—where 100% of net receipts go directly to Maui libraries or other community initiatives. For a fun diversion, head to 808 Ping Pong Table Tennis Club offering walk-in play and membership. Exhausted from shopping and ping pong? Get refreshed at award-winning Waikiki Brewing Company, featuring local craft beer and kiawe smoked authentic BBQ.
Last updated Aug 28, 2023. The Outlets of Maui were affected by the fires and are currently closed.
- What: Outlets of Maui designer & brand-name discount stores
- Where: Outlets of Maui, 900 Front Street, Lāhainā, HI 96761
- Website: Outlets of Maui (outletsofmaui.com)
Last updated Aug 28, 2023. Located across from the Banyan Tree. Photos of the area around the Banyan Tree indicate The Wharf appears to have burned to the ground and their website is down.
- What: The Wharf Cinema Center, Shops & Restaurants
- Where: 658 Front Street, Lāhainā, HI 96761
- Website: The Wharf (thewharfshops.com)