Most people have a special place in their heart for Girl Scout Cookies. Not only are the cookies delicious, the Girl Scout Cookie Program also helps girls fulfill their dreams and follow their passions. The Girl Scout Cookie Program is the largest girl-led entrepreneurial program in the world.
Hint: it’s not just about cookies! Girl Scouts learn five skills that are essential to leadership, to success, and to life: Goal Setting, Decision Making, Money Management, People Skills, and Business Ethics.
Girl Scout Cookie History
For more than 100 years, Girl Scouts and enthusiastic supporters have helped ensure the success of the annual cookie sale. The sale of cookies began as early as 1917, five years after Juliette Gordon Low started Girl Scouts in the United States. The Mistletoe Troop in Muskogee, Oklahoma, baked cookies and sold them in its high school cafeteria to help finance troop activities.
In the 1920s, Girl Scouts in different parts of the country baked their own simple sugar cookies with their mothers and with help from the community. The cookies were packaged in wax paper bags, sealed with a sticker, and sold door-to-door for 25 to 35 cents per dozen.
In 1933, Girl Scouts of Greater Philadelphia Council baked cookies and sold them in the city’s gas and electric company windows for 23 cents per box of 44 cookies, or six boxes for $1.24. A year later, Greater Philadelphia took cookie sales to the next level, becoming the first council to sell commercially baked cookies.
In the 1940s, due to shortages of cookie ingredients during World War II, Girl Scouts instead produced and sold Girl Scout calendars. After the war, cookie sales resumed. From the 1950s to 1980s, new cookie flavors were added and cookie production was streamlined nationwide to ensure consistency and quality from every local Girl Scout Troop.
From the 1990s into the 21st Century, Girl Scouts have continued to modernize, innovate, and most importantly—have fun—while developing valuable life skills. In 2010, the “Digital Cookie” program took the cookies online and introduced Girl Scouts to digital-age skills about online marketing, app usage, and ecommerce.
Girl Scout Cookies in Hawaiʻi
Girl Scouts of Hawai`i is headquartered in Honolulu. There are also Girl Scout representatives on Hawaiʻi Island, Kauaʻi, and Maui. You are welcome to stop by the Honolulu headquarters during regular business hours and learn more about the 100+ year history of Girl Scouts in the islands. Their office located on the 2nd floor of the Ala Moana Hotel (410 Atkinson Drive, Suite 2E1, Honolulu, HI 96814).
Girl Scout Cookie® proceeds stay local. Use the Cookie Locator Hawaiʻi map below to find cookie booth sales near you or to discover a local troop that’s selling cookies online. Buy a few extra boxes to keep in the freezer until the next cookie season (oh yeah, mine always last until next year…NOT!). You can also buy Girl Scout Cookies to donate to first responders, the military, and other worthy organizations.
Girl Scout Cookie® varieties in Hawaiʻi
In 2021, all Girl Scout Cookies are both kosher and Halal certified. There are also new vegan and gluten-free offerings. Check out the cookies available for you in the list below.
- Raspberry Rally®: Thin, crispy cookies infused with raspberry flavor, dipped in chocolaty coating
- Adventurefuls™: Indulgent brownie-inspired cookies topped with caramel flavored crème with a hint of sea salt
- Caramel Chocolate Chip: Gluten free! Chewy cookies with rich caramel, semisweet chocolate chips, and a hint of sea salt
- ** Samoas® (aka Caramel deLites®): Crisp cookies with caramel, coconut, and chocolaty stripes
- Do-si-dos® aka Peanut Butter Sandwich: Crunchy oatmeal sandwich cookies with peanut butter filling
- Girl Scout S’mores®: Crunchy graham sandwich cookies with chocolate and marshmallow filling
- Lemonades®: Vegan! Savory, refreshing shortbread cookies topped with a tangy lemon-flavored icing
- Lemon-Ups®: Crispy lemon cookies baked with inspiring messages
- ** Tagalongs® (aka Peanut Butter Patties®): Crispy cookies layered with peanut butter and covered with a chocolaty coating
- Thin Mints®: Vegan! Crisp, chocolate cookies dipped in a delicious mint chocolaty coating
- Toast-Yay!™: Vegan! Yummy toast-shaped cookies full of French toast flavor and dipped in delicious icing
- Toffee-tastic®: Gluten free! Rich, buttery cookies with sweet, crunchy toffee bits
- Trefoils®: Iconic shortbread cookies inspired by the original Girl Scout cookie recipe
** Why do some cookies have different names? Each Girl Scout council contracts with one of two licensed bakers, whose recipes and ingredients may differ slightly: ABC Bakers and Little Brownie Bakers. That’s why some cookies look the same but have two different names—yet are similarly delicious! More info: Cookie Flavors | Girl Scouts of Hawaii (gshawaii.org)
2023 Girl Scout Cookie season Hawaiʻi
100% of cookie proceeds stay local, which means after the costs of baking the cookies and program logistics (like transporting them!), the cost of each box is reinvested in Girl Scouts of Hawai`i!
- In-person sales begin February 17, 2023. Girl Scout Cookies arrive in Hawaiʻi and can be purchased in person. Use the map below to find a GS Hawaiʻi troop location.
- Online sales begin February 27, 2023. Customers can order cookies for delivery directly to their doorstep. You can order cookies online through the Digital Cookie® or ABC Smart Cookies® platform links of Girl Scouts or troops participating in the cookie program. If you know a Girl Scout, let them know you’d like to buy cookies online and they’ll help you make your purchase. Girl Scouts will use a personalized cookie website, mobile app, email, or direct link to ask their customers to make a purchase.
- 2023 Hawaiʻi Girl Scout cookie prices. When we checked, the price of each variety of GS cookies was listed at $6. Each Girl Scout council across the country sets their own prices and reflect the local cost of cookies and fundraising goals. Remember—cookie proceeds stay with the local council to power experiences year-round for Hawaiʻi Girl Scouts.
Find Girl Scout Cookies in Hawaiʻi 2023
Whether you want to buy cookies in person or online, to find a Girl Scout Troop near you use the map below or visit: Find Cookies | Girl Scouts of Hawaii (gshawaii.org)