Purple Maiʻa is a diverse mix of technologists, teachers, creatives, and social entrepreneurs who are on a mission to inspire and educate the next generation of culturally grounded, community serving technology makers. Their classes teach Computer Science (CS) in a culturally grounded way. For example, a coding class based on the algorithmic patterns of making lei. Or using the Minecraft gaming platform for haumāna to build ahupuaʻa landscapes. By using Indigenous ecological technologies and contemporary digital innovation Purple Maiʻa aims to teach CS in concert with culture-based and ʻāina-based education. All courses are online and haumāna from any island may register. No tuition, but donations are welcome. More info: Serving Hawaiʻi – Purple Maiʻa (purplemaia.org)
Upcoming Purple Maiʻa courses this Welehu* (Oct-Nov)
*Welehu: Makali’i (Pleiades) appears in the night sky, sgnaling the beginning of Makahiki and the rainy season.
- ʻOkakopa Spooktacular Event. October 28. Friday 4-6pm.
- Tech Tuesday: Mana Wāhine x Honi Hala I & II. November 1 & 8. Tuesday 4-5:30pm.
- Workshop: Honi Hala – Wāhine Edition. November 19. 10am -2pm.
- Minecraft Wāhine. November 2 – December 1. Wednesday 4:30-6pm.
- Hoʻomoʻolelo Python. November 2 – 30. Monday & Wednesdays 5:30-6:30pm.
- Minecraft Advanced (Returning Players Only). November 3 – December 1. Thursdays 4:30 – 6pm.
More info or to register: ʻĪnana – Purple Maiʻa (purplemaia.org)