For the first time since 2019, Shinnyo Lantern Floating Hawaiʻi will return Memorial Day, May 29, 2023. Join in person or from afar to create this moment of reconnection and healing.
One of the most interesting and beautiful events in Honolulu on Memorial Day weekend is the Lantern Floating Ceremony on Memorial Day. The ceremony is hosted by the Shinnyo-en Buddhist sect, which provides free lanterns for people to float into the water. All are welcome, even non-Buddhists. The floating lanterns represent the souls of the departed, and are a beautiful way for people to remember their loved ones on Memorial Day, whether or not they were soldiers. The lanterns are made of paper, on which personal messages can be written. You then light a candle, set it in the lantern, and place it in a boat that floats into the water. The sight of the floating lanterns at sunset form a perfect backdrop for personal reflection. Later, volunteers will collect the boats for reuse next year. Held at Ala Moana Beach Park at Magic Island, the event includes musical performances.
2023 Shinnyo Lantern Floating Hawaiʻi at Ala Moana Park
- May 15-May 28. Reserve a lantern. Families and groups are asked to share a single lantern to allow for as many who would like to be able to receive and experience floating a lantern.
- Designate your pickup date for reserved lantern: May 29 at Ala Moana Beach in the Lantern Pickup Tent, located ʻewa of the fixed concession stand from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. or on several dates at Shinnyo-en Hawaii (2348 S. Beretania St.)—your preferred date for pickup may be chosen when making a reservation.
- May 29, 2023. Shinnyo Lantern Floating Hawaiʻi at Ala Moana Beach beginning at 6:30PM. Or join virtually on KHON2 (FOX), KHII, and CW from 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. HST on May 29, 2023. You may also view the ceremony on Facebook, YouTube and on khon2.com.
- More info: https://www.lanternfloatinghawaii.com/
You might also like:
- Pūowaina aka “Punchbowl”: National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific
- Best shopping malls for holiday weekend sales
- Calendar of free and cheap things to do every day (hawaiionthecheap.com)