For over 30 years, the Honolulu Rainbow Film Festival (HRFF) has empowered our diverse LGBTQ-māhū-aikāne communities through the power of storytelling. Enjoy a spectacular weekend of queer films as HRFF34 lights up the screen at the HOMA Doris Duke Theater with five amazing feature films. The in-person theatrical screenings will be followed by a week of fun and fanciful queer shorts streaming online for free September 11-18. Individual films $12. All-access pass $60. More info: HRFF34 | All Access + Events – (hglcf.org) and Honolulu Rainbow Film Festival (HRFF)
In-person Sept 8-10 HRFF featured films at HOMA Doris Duke Theater
- Friday, September 8 | At 2pm. THE MATTACHINE FAMILY about a couple struggling to move forward after their child is returned to his birth mother.
- Friday, September 8 | At 7pm. GOLDEN DELICIOUS. When basketball-obsessed Aleks moves in across the street, Asian-Canadian teen Jake finds himself trying out for the basketball team to get his attention in this classic coming-of-age drama set in the digital age.
- Saturday, September 9 | At 2pm. GLITTER & DOOM follows a musician and a carefree kid as they fall in love at first sight.
- Saturday, September 9 | At 7pm. CORA BORA, a young woman trying to win her girlfriend back realizes that itʻs much more than her love life that needs salvaging.
- Sunday, September 10 | At 2pm. MY PARTNER, Hawaiʻi’s first LGBTQ+ boy love feature film, directed by Keliʻi Grace and starring Kaipo Dudoit, Jayron Munoz and Marieyan Balagta. Preceded by AIKĀNE, an animated queer mythic love story inspired by the Hawaiian concept of love between men.
- More info: HRFF34 | Features – (hglcf.org)
Streaming free: Honolulu Rainbow Film Festival shorts program
- A collection of remarkable short films exploring the diversity of LGBT-māhū-aikāne experience will stream free September 11-18, 2023.
- More info: HRFF34 | Shorts – (hglcf.org)
You might also like: Calendar of free and cheap things to do every day (hawaiionthecheap.com)